THIS SATURDAY, October 18, 2014 from 6-9 p.m., Whole Foods Davis will be hosting their first annual Oktoberfest event at the UC Davis Arboretum’s Terrace Garden and Lois Crowe Patio.
A portion of the proceeds will benefit the Friends of the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden. We hope you’ll consider attending what is sure to be a great time in a beautiful garden, complete with delicious beers from Track 7 and Sudwerk Brewing companies as well as pretzels and bratwurst.
DATE: Saturday, October 18th
TIME: 6 – 9 p.m.
PLACE: UC Davis Arboretum’s Terrace Garden and Lois Crowe Patio MAP
TICKETS: $18 per ticket (must be 21+ years old to attend)
We’ve developed a terrific community partnership with Whole Foods Market Davis! Here are examples of how their team has collaborated with the Arboretum and Public Garden in support of community education and sustainable horticulture:
- Friends of the UC Davis Arboretum was the first recipient of the Nickels for Nonprofits fundraiser at the Davis store, a program that encourages customers to donate their nickel bag credits.
- Whole Foods has supported the Friends plant sales by providing lunches for hundreds of volunteers working at each event.
- Whole Foods hosted tasting events, had a shovel collection barrel, provided publicity to help us collect over 400 shovels used in the “Shovel Gateway” sculpture that welcomes visitors to the Arboretum and catered the dedication event.
- Their team partnered on a “sneak peek” event showcasing the California Native Plant GATEways Garden. Their extensive contributions included food, beverages, rentals and more.
- Whole Foods completely sponsored an event for our “Circle” level members and long-term supporters including gourmet wine and food pairings, additional staff support, and gorgeous decorations.
- They are a great neighbor! Their staff helps keep the Arboretum Terrace Garden clean and secure. They even facilitated a donation of tables and chairs to provide additional seating in the garden.
Please take a moment to say “thank you for being a great Arboretum partner” next time you shop in Whole Foods Market Davis.
At the Friends of the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden seasonal plant sales, not only do we offer the area’s largest selection of attractive, low-water, easy-care, region-appropriate plants including lots of Arboretum All-Stars and California natives, we strive to answer your questions and ensure that you meet your shopping goals. Here are some tips our experienced shoppers already know, but our newer customers may not.
Do you have more tips? Let us know! Leave your comment below.
- Receive a discount. Become a member and receive 10% off your plant sale purchases. New members also get a $10 off coupon. Other membership benefits include access to member’s only plant sales, free or discounted entry to other gardens, discounts at our partner nurseries, and more. LEARN MORE.
- Grab a cart. If you didn’t bring your own cart, use one of ours! If there are no carts available put your name on the wait list. Listen for your name to be called over the PA while you shop.
- Look for orange. Sales help can be found in orange aprons.
- Seek expert advice. “Arboretum Experts” are located in the front of our large center aisle. At this sale, local Master Gardeners are located in the front of the nursery in our demo bed courtyard. You can also find representatives from our partner nurseries, information on safe pesticide use, ”plant doctors” and more.
- Check out our inventory. Download our online inventory or you can find copies at our “Arboretum Expert” and “Arboretum Resource” tables in the center aisle. LEARN MORE.
- Know your type. Looking for perennials, trees, vines, shrubs, succulents, grasses, bulbs, shade plants, California natives, or California natives for shade? The nursery is organized by category and signs can be found hanging from the nursery rafters.
- Find inspiration. Look to our demo beds both inside and just outside the nursery for ideas. Most of these plants are labeled will be for sale.
- Discover our gift shop. Buy unique merchandise including jewelry, tote bags and t-shirts. Every purchase supports the Friends of the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden. (Credit cards only at the gift shop.)