Thanks to the UC Davis California Center for Urban Horticulture (CCUH), which secured funding from multiple industry partners as well as the California Department of Water Resources, there’s an online resource that is a quick way to learn more about water needs of plants sold by nurseries throughout the state of California. It’s called WUCOLS, which stands for Water Use Classification of Landscape Species (http://ucanr.edu/sites/WUCOLS).
Because only about 1% of plants have been scientifically researched to determine their exact water needs, the WUCOLS list incorporates the extensive field knowledge of 36 horticulturists from throughout the state whose experience has allowed them to evaluate the water use of over 3,500 plants; this knowledge is now documented within the fourth edition of the WUCOLS online database.
Once you start digging around this list we think you’ll find a multitude of low-water plants that you’ve never heard of, but will want to try.
CHECK IT OUT HERE: http://ucanr.edu/sites/WUCOLS
UC Davis has been named “Tree Campus USA” for the seventh year in a row by the Arbor Day Foundation!
The Tree Campus USA program recognizes college and university campuses that effectively manage their campus trees, develop connectivity with the community beyond campus borders to foster healthy urban forests, and strive to engage their student population utilizing service learning opportunities centered on campus, and community forestry efforts.
What does it take to be named a “Tree Campus USA”?
- Campus Tree Advisory Committee
- Campus Tree Care Plan
- Campus Tree Program with Dedicated Annual Expenditures
- Arbor Day Observance
- Service Learning Project
Congratulations to our Grounds and Landscape Services team for taking care of our trees and keeping them a priority for our campus and the environment!
1) GIFT CERTIFICATE eligibility. Everyone who joins or renews during that time period (postmarked or in person) will automatically be entered in a drawing for one of three $75 gift certificates redeemable at any Arboretum and Public Garden plant sale.
2) NEW MUSEUM BENEFITS. If you join at the $100+ level you’ll get free admission and/or discounts at over 700 museums, gardens and arts, cultural and historical institutions through NARM, one of the largest reciprocal admission programs in the world (narmassociation.org). LEARN MORE about other membership benefits.
3) BEST SELECTION. Get first pick from our blockbuster inventory of plants during our members-only sale on March 7.
4) DISCOUNTS at plant sales. As a member, you always get a 10% discount on Arboretum plants and merchandise, plus discounts at our regional partner nurseries.
5) FREE PROGRAMS. Your membership helps support the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden’s vibrant programs that are free and open to everyone…not to mention our world-class collections and demonstration gardens!
SOUNDS GOOD? WHAT NOW? Visit our Friends membership table at the spring plant sales, call or stop by the Arboretum Headquarters during business hours, or join or renew by mail (must be postmarked by 5/17 to be entered in the drawing).
Arboretum Headquarters, located at 448 La Rue Road on the UC Davis campus, are open from 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. (Closed from 12 – 1 p.m.) | Tel: 530.752.4880.