In 2013-14, our staff was fortunate to mentor 13 student employees and 40 undergraduate interns through the Learning by Leading program. Here are some of their amazing accomplishments:
- Gardening with Native Plants interns designed plantings, installed irrigation, and planted over 1,000 native plants and bulbs.
- Nursery and Propagation interns grew over 3,000 plants for our plant sales and our Valley-wise horticulture program.
- GIS Collections Mapping interns surveyed and mapped over 1,500 plants in the Desert, Acacia, and South African collections, providing essential support for our research and conservation efforts.
- Edible Landscaping interns developed and enhanced seven educational gardens across campus and donated the food grown. They raised over $3,500 in donations and sales. Coordinator Arianna Kosel (seen below in the middle) was named one of three UC Davis Student Employees of the Year.
- Arboretum Ambassadors won the UC Davis Community Service Gold Award and a federal President’s Volunteer Service Award for 1,800 hours donated to create inspiring, free public programs.
Thank you to our incredible students, and congratulations! In addition, we thank all of this year’s Annual Appeal donors who contributed $20,295 to support Learning by Leading students in 2014-15.