We are excited to announce that next year we are starting a multi-year project to maintain and enhance our campus waterway. The waterway is not just iconic to the Arboretum, it’s an amenity for our community, and an important component to how our campus manages its stormwater.
The last time we maintained the waterway to improve issues such as sediment build up — the kind which naturally occur in ponds like this — was almost 20 years ago. This time the work will be similar, but in addition, we are engineering in features that will add movement to the water, updating the pathways to bring them up to modern accessibility standards, as well as addressing other safety concerns. (Learn more by reading our FAQ.)
Thank you for your patience as construction takes place. We look forward to keeping you up to date as we make progress on this project and hope that you will visit this page often to learn how engineers are re-designing the waterway to improve its future maintenance, aesthetics and habitat value, to stay informed about the timing and location of detours, as well as to find out how you can help!
Watch a video
- 3.10.17 Arboretum Waterway construction officially begins
- 2.24.17 Detour notice: Construction scheduled to begin on Arboretum Waterway
- 1.27.17 Homegrown experts help restore Arboretum Waterway
- 9.29.16 Project start delayed, aquatic weed clean up continues
- 9.13.16 Aquatic weed clean up
- 8.17.16 Waterway Maintenance and Enhancement Project Progress
- 7.21.16 Preparations for waterway construction begin
- 3.22.16 Phase one of Arboretum Waterway Improvement Project
- 1.29.17 Davis Enterprise: Homegrown experts help resotre Arboretum Waterway
- 7.26.16 UC Davis Dateline: Waterworks: Pipeline Project, Waterway Drawdown
- 8.28.16 Davis Enterprise: Arboretum waterway cleanup begins
- 6.26.16 Davis Enterprise: Arboretum enhancement begins this summer
- 6.21.16 UC Davis Dateline: Waterway Improvement Project to Begin
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) web page
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) handout for print
- Video: Pilot project to improve waterway
- Area Map: Where is and where was Putah Creek? Where is the Arboretum Waterway?
- Phase 1 Project Map: What can you expect to see change during Phase 1 of this project?
- Waterway Project Overview: Before and after images of the east and west ends of the waterway.
- Waterway Weir Details: What will the weirs look like? How do they function?
- Bookmark this page
- Sign up to receive The Leaflet, the UC Davis Arboretum and Public Garden’s e-newsletter
Click the image above for a larger map.
- April 19, 2017
Waterway WOW! April 21 – May 4 The Arboretum Waterway is an iconic part of UC Davis and an...April 7, 2017
The fences are up and the detours have begun.March 10, 2017
Detours begin the week of February 27, 2017.February 24, 2017
Undergraduate students will sample water and provide important analysis.January 27, 2017
- September 29, 2016
If you visited the Arboretum over the summer, you probably noticed that our waterway was especially thick — thicker...September 13, 2016
- August 17, 2016
- July 21, 2016
YOU ARE INVITED:
Arboretum Waterway Maintenance and Enhancement Project
Public Information SessionWed. June 29 from 6 – 7:30 p.m.
We are excited to announce that this summer we are starting a multi-year project to maintain and enhance our...June 18, 2016
Phase one of our multi-year Arboretum Waterway Maintenance and Enhancement Project will begin this summer. Below are a set of questions...June 17, 2016
Original post date: March 22, 2016 Updated September 14, 2016 with revised project start date*. What we call the...March 22, 2016